Optimally taking smart drugs means knowing which compounds facilitate productivity in which areas.
Over the years, I’ve really come to understand the significance of knowing which smart drugs to take for which situations.
I discovered, through rigorous experimentation with nootropics/smart drugs, that certain compounds actually worked better for certain productivity tasks.
So, I decided to do a video on the topic, which you can find below, but I’d like to expand upon some of my experiences, below:
Which smart drugs for which situations?
- Afinils (Modafinil/Adrafinil): The afinils are as powerful as they get. The two primary afinil suffix smart drugs are “Modafinil,” and “Adrafinil.” Adrafinil is a legal analog of Modafinil, that converts to Modafinil in the liver after administration.Modafinil, is an Anti-Narcolepsy drug that is the “real deal” of smart drugs. Both of these compounds “crank up wakefulness” considerably, and promote a strong state of focus and brain performance.But using Modafinil requires a bit of granularity, if you want to get the most productivity out of it. So here’s what I think:The best way to use Modafinil (but not the only way), is to take the compound early in the day (because it will affect your capacity to sleep if you take it later than noon), when you have a considerable amount of work to do, that you haven’t started yet.
Modafinil will turn on the brain in an extreme way, that will allow you to work through a particular task, for an uncanny amount of time.
Have an essay to write that’s going to require a ton of research? Modafinil will be epically useful.
Have a long video editing project to work on? Have to do bug fixes for an application you’re building? Modafinil will fuel your brain to endure the process, and keep your mental stamina strong, throughout the time you’re working. This, to me, is the best use for Modafinil.
- Huperzine A: This compound is one of the strongest nootropics/smart drugs there is, in my opinion. I’ve yet to experience a smart drug that has this degree of power behind it, with such a low dose. It’s pretty remarkable.Huperzine A inhibits an enzyme in your brain that breaks down a major neurotransmitter (acetylcholine), and prevents it from being recycled. This translates to a greater availability of acetylcholine in many regions of the brain, which prompts an increased working memory and focus capacity.I’ve come to understand the the best use of Huperzine A is in memory retention, arithmetic, essay writing, or computer programming tasks.
The working memory improvements particularly facilitate a better programming experience, and the information retention benefits make it extremely useful for writing long essays and doing arithmetic.
I imagine Huperzine A is a smart drug used widely in academic environments and I have to say, I understand why. Remember folks: dose wisely, within the 40-200 MCG (micrograms – this is a very important distinction) range. Too much Huperzine A can cause some pretty nasty side effects (nausea, vomiting, other).
- Oxiracetam: This powerful racetam smart drug is remarkably effective for improving cognitive function when in a sleep deficit. I’ve noticed, that when I don’t sleep particularly well, sometimes I have a lot of trouble holding information in my working memory, being verbally fluent, and being on top of things.Without sufficient sleep, I find it more difficult to focus, and I sometimes find it nearly impossible to be effective in the realm of productivity.But 400-700MG of Oxiracetam later, and all of that changes considerably. This compound takes me back to baseline, and sends me far above, in most instances.
I want to be clear though: Oxiracetam is also quite useful just for improving verbal fluency, memory, and focus capacity from baseline. You don’t need a sleep deficit induced cognitive impairment. This remarkably effective smart drug will do its work, even when you’re at your prime.
- Uridine Monophosphate: I call Uridine a “wonder compound.” There is no nootropic like Uridine monophosphate, which is why it’s the main ingredient in our proprietary nootropic stack, Cortex. This compound works remarkably well for improving verbal fluency, facilitating the capacity to wrong long blog posts/essays, and optimizing your language execution while giving a speech.
As we talk about in the video, Uridine monophosphate is also extremely effective for motivating the user to get work done. For me, it just puts me in an extremely strong mode, to sit down and do work. Besides Aniracetam, this compound is extremely useful for facilitating productivity work by cranking up the drive to get things done.
- Aniracetam: Besides Oxiracetam, Aniracetam is my favorite racetam. It always “amps” me up to get productive work done. As I stated above in the Uridine section, Aniracetam is my #1 choice for getting myself excited to do work.
Aniracetam is also extremely useful for getting the brain in a mode where it can easily switch between tasks, while engaging in a myriad of multi-tasking like projects that don’t take a whole lot of time.
I use this compound to do administrative work within Quickbooks, and to otherwise crank out a bunch of other admin related work, that I’d otherwise not be motivated to get done. Aniracetam works remarkably for turning on my brain to be driven to get these types of tasks done.
In the video below, we explore some of these topics further, and get down to my positions, on using certain smart drugs, for certain applications.